1-year-old girl hit in the face by a stray bullet in the Bronx leaves hospital 4 months after the shooting

VALHALLA, Westchester County (WABC) – A 1-year-old girl who was shot in the face in the Bronx was released from hospital on Friday nearly four months after the horrific crime.

Little Catherine left Valhalla’s Blythedale Children’s Hospital with her grateful parents, Miraida Gomez and Gregory Arias, who spoke out.

“Our beautiful miracle baby,” Gomez said. “Our journey has been long, but finally this is the light at the end of the tunnel … We are very happy, we can’t wait to start this new chapter of our life and we are just happy that everyone is able to witness a miracle”.

The shooting took place on January 19 when the girl was inside a parked car with her mother as her father walked into a deli.

RELATED | Bronx FROM Darcel Clark to the man who shot the girl: “You won’t be fine”

That’s when she he was hit by a stray bullet from a gunman who was shooting at someone else. The bullet hit Catherine near her ear and exited through the top of her head, and her brain injury resulted in a stroke.

“I don’t think I can describe my emotions (of that day) all at once, because there was a lot going on,” Gomez said. “I felt a little numb, and I was just more likely to be by her side no matter what. It’s bittersweet today.”

The family leaves the hospital and speaks to the media:

The family said they walked a difficult path.

“Initially, we didn’t really know what the result would be after his injury,” said Gomez. “It was really gloomy. There seemed to be a dark cloud over us … She was intubated. She was sedated. She had a feeding tube. She was practically paralyzed on one side of her body from the wound, and here Lo we’re doing. He’s walking, which we were told might not happen. I mean his journey was also miraculous compared to what we’ve always been told, and we’re just happy to share it with everyone. “

Arias said that despite everything, they realize how lucky they truly are.

“I think it was tough because everyone is a parent,” she said. “Nobody wants to imagine something like that happening to their child. So (the support) has been great. It’s still great because she watches the show up to this. We are lucky to have her and we are grateful to still be with her. Since her hurt, some parents weren’t so lucky. “

The killer fled on foot and has not yet been found.

Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark spoke exclusively to Eyewitness News reporter NJ Burkett after the shooting, vowing that the gunman would be captured.

“You might just keep going out there and thinking about getting away with it, but you won’t get away with it,” he said. “We will find you sooner or later, because we will not stop looking.”

RELATED | The new video shows a gunman wanted in the shooting who left a girl killed in the face in the Bronx

Police have released a surveillance video showing the shooting and the gunman can be seen running down the street in a chaotic scene.

The motive for the shooting is still under investigation and no arrests have been made.

The police are looking for both the gunman and the other person who was his intended target.

Anyone with information should call the NYPD Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or in Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782).

* More news on the Bronx
* Send us a news tip
* Download the abc7NY app for breaking news alerts
* Follow us on YouTube
Submit a news tip

Copyright © 2022 WABC-TV. All rights reserved.